Family-to-Family Education Course
The NAMI Family-to-Family Education Course is a free 12-week (2 1/2 hours/week) program for families of individuals with severe brain disorders (mental illnesses). The classes are taught by trained family members. All course materials are furnished at no cost to you.
Below are some details. To register, e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org or call (610) 882-2102. Register today!
Dates: September 6 to November 22, 2017
The curriculum focuses on schizophrenia, bipolar disorder (manic depression), clinical depression, panic disorders and obsessive-compulsive disorder (OCD). The course discusses the clinical treatment of these illnesses and teaches the knowledge and skills that family members need to cope more effectively.
- Learning about feelings, learning about facts
- Schizophrenia, major depression and mania: diagnosis and dealing with critical periods
- Subtypes of depression and bipolar disorder, panic disorder and OCD; diagnosis and causes; sharing our stories
- The biology of the brain/new research
- Problem solving workshops
- Medication review
- Empathy workshop – what it’s like to have a brain disorder
- Communication skills workshop
- Self-care and relative groups
- Rehabilitation, services available
- Advocacy: fighting stigma
- Review and certification ceremony